The Concentration Camp Gross-Rosen
In 1940 the new forced-labor camp was established in Lower Silesia, only 40 miles southwest of Wroclaw. It was located directly on the rail line between Jawor and Strzegom. It is considered as the one of the hardest concentration camps where inmates were treated with incredible violence and cruelty. Prisoners were working in granit quarries. They suffered from hunger, cold, mistreatment, diseases. The mortality rate was extremely high. Initially, the Gross-Rosen Camp was a small camp, but it was enlarged in 1944. The whole complex of KL Gross-Rosen counted numerous subcamps (almost 100). Approximately 120.000 people went through the camp and 40 000 of them were killed. The camp was liberated in 1945 by the Soviet Army, however before that Nazi Germans had carried out an evacuation which had turned out the most terrifying and tragic period in the whole history of the camp. During the transports many thousands of prisoners died because of extremely hard conditions, general emaciation and lack of food and water.
The State Museum Gross- Rosen was founded in 1983 and its aim is to accumulate source materials to the history of Gross- Rosen complex, conduct research works and disseminating historical knowledge, protect post- camp remains and make them available for visitors. On the area of the museum you will find camp gate, camp bell, various buildings, and more.
We organise private and regular tours to Gross-Rosen Concentration Camp from Wroclaw and other cities in Poland.
We provide English-speaking guides as well as we can arrange the tour in other languages on request.$ back